- Novak Djokovic beat seventh seed Matteo Berrettini 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 to win his sixth title at Wimbledon. His third straight triumph at the All England Club also earned him a 20th Grand Slam title, equaling the men’s record haul held by Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
- Having also won the Australian Open and the French Open titles in 2021, Djokovic has now completed the third leg towards achieving the Golden Slam. No man has ever won the four slams and an Olympic gold in the same year.
- The 34-year-old from Serbia is now the only man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win the first three major tournaments in a season. He can aim for a calendar-year Grand Slam — something last accomplished by a man when Laver did it 52 years ago — at the U.S. Open, which starts August 30, 3021.
- This was Djokovic’s 30th major final — among men, only Federer has played more, 31 — and the first for Berrettini, a 25-year-old from Italy who was seeded No. 7.
Some Key Pointts
- Djokovic is the frst men’s singles player after Rod Laver in 1969 to win the frst three Majors of the calendar year.
- First French Open-Wimbledon double for Djokovic. He is now the ffth man in the Open Era to achieve the feat, after Laver, Borg, Nadal and Federer.
- First grass-court loss for Berrettini after winning the frst set. He was 22-0 on the surface before this, out of 27 wins overall.
- Djokovic’s seventh victory out of 14 Grand Slam fnals inwhich he has lost the frst set.
- Djokovic has won eight of the last 12 Major titles, with Nadal (3) and Thiem (1) accounting for the other four. It makes the Serb the Open Era leader for most Slams after turning 30. Nadal is next with six.
2021 WIMBLEDON TENNIS: TITLE WINNERS
- Men’s Singles: Serbia’s Novak Djokovic
- Women’s Singles: Ashleigh Barty
- Men’s Doubles: Croatia’s Nikola Mektić and Mate Pavić
- Women’s Doubles: Chinese Taipei’s Hsieh Su-wei & Elise Mertens of Belgium
- Mixed Doubles: United Kingdom’s Neal Skupski and Desirae Krawczyk of US