As per the data received from Police Departments of various States/UTs the total numbers of persons killed on all roads in the country for the calendar year, starting from 2017 to 2019 are shown in the table given below:
The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has notified “Member of Parliaments’ Road Safety Committee” in each district of the country to promote awareness amongst road users under the chairmanship of Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) from the district.
The Ministry has formulated a multi-pronged strategy to address the issue of road safety based on Education, Engineering (both of roads and vehicles), Enforcement and Emergency Care.
- The recently passed motor vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019 provides for strict enforcement through use of technology and further provides for strict penalties for ensuring strict compliance and enhancing deterrence for violation of traffic rules.
- Issue of Guidelines for protection of Good Samaritans and draft rules as per MV (Amendment) Act, 2019 has been published.
- The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019 provides for a scheme for the cashless treatment of victims of the accident during the golden hour.
- The National Highways Authority of India has made provisions for ambulances at all toll plazas on the completed corridor of National Highways.
- Further, out of this, 297 ambulances have been upgraded to Basic Life Support as per AIS-125 and up gradation for the remaining are under process.