- India has created history at the Tokyo Paralympics, returning home with as many as 19 medals, their best-ever tally in a single edition of the Paralympics so far. With as many as 5 gold medals, 8 silver medals and 6 bronze medals, finishing inside the top 25 at the Para Games in the Japanese capital.
- India’s tally of 19 is also the country’s best at a multi-spot world event, going past the tally of 13 registered at the Summer Youth Olympics in 2018. The record tally in Paralympics comes after the able-bodied athletes scripted history at the Tokyo Olympics, winning 7 medals, their best-ever tally at the Olympics.
- India finished inside the top 25 in the medal table at the Tokyo Paralympics, going past their previous-best bby 15 medals.
- From its first-ever Paralympics in 1968 to 2016, India had won 12 medals but the bar has been set high by the para-athletes as they return home with a staggering tally of 19. In fact, India had only 19 athletes at the Rio Paralympics where they won 4 medals.
- There were multiple medalists as well for India as Avani Lekhara won a gold medal and a bronze medal in shooting while Singhraj took a silver and bronze in shooting. Notably, Avani was the India’s flag-bearer at the Tokyo Paralympics closing ceremony after having become the first woman gold medalist at the Paralympics or Olympics history. The Paralympics involved a record number of athletes — 4,405 — and a record number of countries won medals.
Full list of India’s medalists from Tokyo Paralympics:
- Avani Lekhara – Gold – Women’s 10m Air Rifle Standing SH1
- Pramod Bhagat – Gold – Men’s singles SL3 badminton
- Krishna Nagar – Gold – Men’s singles SH6 badminton
- Sumit Antil – Gold – Men’s Javelin Throw F64
- Manish Narwal – Gold – Mixed 50m Pistol SH1
- Bhavinaben Patel – Silver – Women’s Singles Class 4 Table Tennis
- Singhraj – Silver – Mixed 50m Pistol SH1
- Yogesh Kathuniya – Silver – Men’s Discus F56
- Nishad Kumar – Silver – Men’s High Jump T47
- Mariyappan Thangavelu – Silver – Men’s High Jump T63
- Praveen Kumar – Silver – Men’s High Jump T64
- Devendra Jhajharia – Silver – Men’s Javelin F46
- Suhas Yathiraj – Silver – Men’s Singles Badminton SL4
- Avani Lekhara – Bronze – Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions SH1
- Harvinder Singh – Bronze – Men’s Individual Recurve Archery
- Sharad Kumar- Bronze – Men’s High Jump T63
- Sundar Singh Gurjar -Bronze- Men’s Javelin Throw F46
- Manoj Sarkar – Bronze – Men’s Singles Badminton SL3
- Singhraj – Bronze – Men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1
Sport-wise tally of India’s medals at Tokyo Paralympics
- Athletics – 8
- Shooting – 5
- Badminton – 4
- Archery – 1
- Table Tennis – 1